A new report by the Council of Economic Advisers looks at the state-by-state impact had all states accepted enhanced federal Medicaid funds. As is familiar to most, Wisconsin is one of the states to reject these available federal funds to guarantee affordable coverage to thousands, and as such many will needless go without coverage. However Wisconsin can accept these funds at any time.
The report concluded that if all states, including Wisconsin, accepted the federal Medicaid funds, roughly 120,000 Wisconsin residents would gain affordable access to BadgerCare by 2016. While this number is slightly higher than the 84,700 estimate that Wisconsin's Legislative Fiscal Bureau has estimated would be eligible, recent enrollment reports for those under the poverty line shows that more people have enrolled than first expected and that is likely the case with those in the income group currently being denied BadgerCare by Walker.
More data from the report. If Wisconsin accepted federal Medicaid funds for BadgerCare:
- Number of additional physician visits each year by WI residents: 324,000 more visits
- Reduction in number of WI residents experiencing depression: 10,000 fewer residents
- Additional WI residents reporting good, very good, or excellent health: 16,000 more residents
- WI residents with catastrophic out‐of‐pocket costs in a typical year: 5,400 fewer
- WI residents borrowing to pay bills or skipping payments due to medical bills: 17,100 fewer
- Net increase in federal funds coming into Wisconsin, 2014-2016: $2,580,000,000
- Increase in employment in Wisconsin, 2014-2017: 11,200 more workers
- Increase in Wisconsin GDP
- 2014: $590,000,000
- 2015: $950,000,000
- 2016: $430,000,000
- Cumulative, 2014 ‐ 2017: $1,970,000,000
Overall this is a very comprehensive and important report. I highly suggest those interested in the debate on Medicaid/BadgerCare check this out. Wisconsin has the means to inject federal funds into our community to the benefit of both the state and its citizens, all we need to do is reach out and accept them.
To help make sure Wisconsin accepts these funds, join our campaign: say YES to BadgerCare!