15 health organizations encourage Milwaukee County residents to vote “YES” on referendum to accept federal funds for BadgerCare.
This morning Milwaukee area organizations directly involved in issues of health care, health policy and social service announced their support for an advisory referendum passed by the Milwaukee County Board on accepting federal funds for BadgerCare.
The referendum question, “Shall the next State Legislature accept all available federal funds for BadgerCare to ensure that thousands of Wisconsin citizens have access to affordable health coverage?” will go before voters in Milwaukee County’ in November. The referendum is on the ballot in a growing number of Wisconsin Counties, including Eau Claire, Dunn and Outagamie counties so far.
By rejecting enhanced funds for BadgerCare, Wisconsin is denying truly affordable coverage to tens of thousands of Wisconsinites near the poverty line.
“The American College of Physicians, the largest specialty organization in the world, strongly support this referendum effort to accept the federal Medicaid funds,” said Dr Kesavan Kutty, regent for the American College of Physicians Wisconsin Chapter. “These enhanced federal funds are directly responsible according to recent research for a reduction in private health insurance costs in states that have accepted the federal funds. Access to care can never be overemphasized. We can have this too.”
“Everyone deserves access to quality affordable health care, the Reproductive Justice Collective supports this referendum on accepting the federal funds for BadgerCare,” said Sarah Noble, Managing Director. “Large health disparities still exist in our communities. The route to addressing them is to make sure everyone has access to preventive care and we can do that by accepting these federal funds for BadgerCare!”
The organizations in support include:
- American College of Physicians Wisconsin Chapter
- American Diabetes Association, Wisconsin Chapter
- Black Health Coalition of Wisconsin
- Center for Quality Community Life
- Citizen Action of Wisconsin
- Community Advocates Public Policy Institute
- Mental Health America of Wisconsin
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Wisconsin
- National Association of Social Workers, Wisconsin Chapter
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin
- Reproductive Justice Collective
- SEIU Healthcare Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Alliance for Retired Americans
- Wisconsin Breast Cancer Coalition
- Wisconsin Federation of Nurses and Health Professionals
This November, already one out of every four Wisconsin residents will see on their county’s ballot the decision on accepting federal funds for BadgerCare. More local governments are considering these referendum and the above organizations strongly endorse such opportunities for direct citizen participation in public policy.
JOIN our CAMPAIGN to accept federal Medicaid money