Job Description: Health Organizer
Objective: Citizen Action of Wisconsin seeks a dynamic and socially committed person to join our organizing team and lead a health policy campaign to promote behavioral health. This position is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, includes travel in Wisconsin, and occasional out-of-state travel.
Description of Work: The Health Organizer, with guidance from the Lead Organizer, will work to advance a project promoting a health policy proposal known as SBIRT, Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment. This position is housed at Citizen Action of Wisconsin and will be directed by a coalition of organizations. SBIRT is a cutting-edge medical model which uses screenings and early intervention to identify behavioral health issues early and address them more efficiently and effectively before irreversible damage is done. This is an example of the kind of health delivery system reforms needed to reduce cost and increase the value of our health care system. Working with health providers, educators and more, the Health Organizer will implement a campaign to expand the use of this medical model and other related health policies to expand access to quality care and prevention. The terms of this position are a 6 month training and trial period, followed by a 2 year commitment if both parties agree.
Organizational Background: Citizen Action of Wisconsin is issue focused non-profit organization committed to achieving social, economic, and environmental justice. We are dedicated to achieving a Wisconsin and an America where every human being has an equal opportunity to live a meaningful and fulfilling life. Citizen Action of Wisconsin brings together thousands of activists and allied groups across Wisconsin to deepen democratic participation and create an issue environment that advances a progressive public policy agenda. Most fundamentally, we believe that issues matter. It is through transformative issues that capture the public imagination and reveal the dissonance between our nation’s ideals and its economic and social realities that average people see their stake in the public sphere and are motivated to participate in their democracy, resulting in meaningful and lasting change. Citizen Action’s lead issues are good jobs, health care reform, and the protection and expansion of democracy, and also leads a values-based communication project to improve the messaging of progressives in Wisconsin. Citizen Action is spearheading the development innovative new grassroots organizing techniques, and seeks candidates who are interested in embracing new dynamic approaches. More information on current Citizen Action of Wisconsin programs can be found at citizenactionwi.org
- Work with Executive Director, Lead Organizer, and coalition leadership team to help implement a new health policy organizing campaign.
- Directly organize and develop activists and volunteers to participate in Citizen Action’s "Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment" (SBIRT) campaign.
- Help organize coalitions supporting Citizen Action of WI's SBIRT campaign from a wide range of prospective allies.
- Develop Citizen Action’s story project, which includes developing compelling stories from individuals who are impacted by substance abuse, behavioral health, mental health issues etc.
- Embrace and effectively utilize new communications technology, working within Citizen Action’s cutting-edge social networking and web technology programs to augment on-the ground organizing.
- Coordinate program and logistics for public events, mobilizations and other grassroots activity.
- Work in a focused way to advance strategic goals, and provide timely weekly reporting of organizing progress.
- Integrate Citizen Action’s values-based communication into all organizing work.
- Demonstrated experience in labor, community, political or faith-based organizing (at least 2 years experience is preferred but not required)
- Ability to understand complex public policy issues and translate them into compelling organizing issues that motivate average people to act
- Experience with health policy, the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid, behavioral health, or SBIRT a plus but not required
- Experience working with a broad array of organizations in a coalition on issues of social and economic justice
- Experience with and commitment to working on racial justice issues and/or working in communities of color a plus.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including ability to produce effective flyers, email alerts, coalition reports, blogs, and effective social media posts
- Strong creative strategic thinking skills
- Computer skills including e-mail, composing documents, designing flyers, working with data bases, and social networking (Familiarity with NationBuilder, GoogleDocs, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, as well as managing Facebook pages and/or Twitter accounts)
- Experience with online list-building and voter files a plus
- Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining effective relationships
- Excellent listening, interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Strong personal time management skills, organization skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Bilingual a plus but not required
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time position which includes health care, dental and vision, employer-matched 401K, life insurance, disability insurance, cell phone allowance, and other benefits. Some weekend and evening hours required. Compensation is based upon experience and demonstrated organizing skills. This is a union position, represented by OPEIU Local 9, AFL-CIO.
Application Process: E-mail cover letter and résumé to Kevin Kane, Lead Organizer at Kevin.email@example.com
Please, no calls.
Citizen Action of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status