“State Budget Blues” Battleground Wisconsin Podcast
We discuss the disastrous Republican State Budget that cleared the Legislature this week. After digging into the budget’s many failings, we ask: why did 7 Democrats vote yes? We continue our call for the Governor to veto the state budget, although the signs are not promising. Next we turn to the looming presence of Donald Trump on Republican politics, and the panic he engendered this week among Wisconsin Republicans. It got so bad that State Senator Chris Kapenga bowed to him in a “dear leader” letter worthy of the most authoritarian leaders in the world, drawing national ridicule. Meanwhile U.S. Sen Ron Johnson’s reckless anti-science crusade which reached new lows this week. Robert tells us about the launch of an “End Child Poverty” campaign with news events in Eau Claire, Milwaukee, Appleton and Wausau, next week. We close with a special guest, Angela Lang, Executive Director of Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) to discuss their campaign to induce Gov. Evers to call for an Executive Commission on safety and policing.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Legislature Approves State Budget, Sends To Gov. Tony Evers
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Assembly passes budget largely along party lines
- Wisconsin Senate sends $87.5 billion budget to Gov. Tony Evers.
- What Democrats want versus what Republicans got in the budget. Will the dramatic changes made by the GOP draw a veto from Gov. Evers?
- ‘Back to Basics’ or ‘Forward-Looking’? Divided Assembly Passes Budget After Hours of Debate.
- Wisconsin Assembly violated law by withholding records on lawmaker who sexually harassed an aide, judge rules.
- Senator Kapenga’s Stockholms Syndrome Letter to President Trump.
- Ron Johnson’s anti-science crusade sets back the drive to vaccinate more people in Wisconsin.
- The Senate passes a scaled-back use-of-force bill as activists call on Evers to form a commission.
- Wisconsin Senate Sends Police Use-Of-Force Bill to Governor.