“History Made.” Battleground Wisconsin Podcast
We debrief the Spring Election, including the right wing’s effort to take over local schools boards on shameful culture war conspiracies and the watershed election of Milwaukee’s first Black mayor. The panel takes stock in the historic U.S. Senate vote confirming the first Black woman, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, to the Supreme Court. Disgraced former judge Michael Gableman shamefully speaks at Trump’s Florida resort and is praised by the insurrectionist ex-president. How can Republicans continue the pretense that Gableman is leading an impartial and objective investigation? Claire educates us on the important health care policy behind the big Barack Obama/Joe Biden media event at the White House this week. A Citizen Action member from our North Central Wisconsin Organizing Co-op directly impacted by unaffordable health insurance costs gets a trip to the White House to see the Obama-Biden event. We discuss critical Biden agenda items that still need to be addressed before November 2022. Finally, the panel discusses the implications of new reports linking COVID-19 deaths to poverty, plus the latest Ron Johnson follies.
- Ketanji Brown Jackson confirmed by Senate as first Black woman on US Supreme Court.
- Senate is expected to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court on Thursday.
- U.S. Senate heads toward final vote this week on Ketanji Brown Jackson confirmation.
- Celebration and challenge for Milwaukee’s new chief executive. Cavalier Johnson elected as city’s first Black mayor in landslide victory.
- Conservatives’ school board push yields mixed results in Tuesday elections. Backlash against negative campaigns.
- GOP-funded school board campaigns oust incumbents in red areas, fall flat in others.
- Right wing judge elected to District II Appeals Court, solidifying conservative majority.
- Outside funders backed winner Lazar in Court of Appeals election.
- Juan Miguel Martinez holds narrow lead over Zepnick for Milwaukee County Board seat.
- Report: Trump lauds Wisconsin election investigator Michael Gableman in Mar-a-Lago visit.
- Biden proposes expansion of Affordable Care Act with changes to ‘family glitch’.
- Obamacare advocate Chrysa Ostenso of Ladysmith witnesses White House ceremony celebrating Affordable Care Act.
- Report ties COVID-19 deaths to poverty, systemic policy failures. In poorest counties, pandemic killed more people than in wealthiest ones.