Student loans & UW Health nurses prepare to strike” Battleground Wisconsin Podcast
We discuss President Biden’s announcement that he will use his presidential powers to cancel $10,000 in student loans for those making less than $125,000 and $20,000 for those who were low enough income to qualify for Pell Grants. Robert discusses how this benefits all middle class students and is especially targeted to the most financially challenged, including BIPOC students with very high student debts. We talk about the vote of over 2,000 UW Health nurses to authorize a 3 day strike in September to demand recognition of their union from hospital administrators. We review a new report finding public employees are leaving the sector at the highest rate in decades. Robert previews our “How to talk about the Inflation Reduction Act” training this Thursday at 6pm (WATCH recording of event below.) This week Citizen Action announced 32 new candidate endorsements for the November 8th election and discuss why it is so important for everyone to volunteer this fall to elect Mandela Barnes to take the next steps in passing a bold progressive agenda.
Listen now to the show!
Watch How to talk about the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Biden to wipe out $10,000 in student loan debt for many borrowers.
- Instant Economic Stimulus Is Coming to Hundreds of Thousands in Wisconsin as Biden Lops Education Debts.
- Hundreds of UW Health nurses vote to strike if union not recognized.
- Report: Public employees leaving at highest rate in decades due to tight labor market, aging workforce.
- UW Health nurses vote to authorize 3-day strike in September as they seek to regain union.