Citizen Action Spring 2022 Primary Election Endorsements.
The primary election is Tuesday, February 15th
The general election is Tuesday, April 5th.
Citizen Action’s Board will be considering more Spring Election endorsements after the primary election.
Marina Dimitrijevic, Milwaukee Mayor.
The endorsement, which was decided by Citizen Action’s 22 member Board of Directors, was made after a rigorous process that included a virtual candidate forum, a questionnaire, and extensive engagement of candidate records and positions.
The majority of the board judged Marina to be the candidate most committed to moving Milwaukee forward in a boldly progressive direction. She is especially strong on Citizen Action’s top issue in Milwaukee: initiating a large-scale green conversion that dramatically reduces greenhouse gas emissions while creating tens of thousands of family supporting union jobs, especially for communities locked out of economic opportunity.
Citizen Action is also impressed with Marina’s other progressive policy commitments, including defending Milwaukee Public Schools from attacks by GOP legislators, challenging the shocking health disparities that plague our city, and doing the right thing during the ongoing fight against COVID.
“Marina Dimitrijevic, more than any other candidate, understands that responding boldly to the climate crisis is a moral necessity that promises huge economic benefits to the working people of Milwaukee,” said Robert Kraig, Executive Director of Citizen Action of Wisconsin. “The era of deindustrialization and inequality that began in the 1970s has been devastating to Milwaukee, turning one of the most prosperous cities in America to a city with some of the worst economic and racial disparities. Milwaukee has a tremendous opportunity to make the economic changes needed to prevent a climate catastrophe and for the first time in decades create thousands of good union jobs for Black, Brown, and white workers locked in the low wage economy.”
Marina is also endorsed by many of our progressive affiliates and allies: Voces de la Frontera, AFT Local 212, The United Auto Workers, United Food & Commercial Workers Local 1473, Women Lead Wisconsin, Teamsters Local 200, Teamsters Local 344, and a majority of the members of the Milwaukee School Board.
Juan Miguel Martinez, Milwaukee County Board Dist #12
- Open seat.
- Union organizer with Milwaukee Area Service & Hospitality workers union.
- Also endorsed by UAW, Voces de la Frontera, and DSA.
Nick Ross, Appleton School Board, At-large
- At-Large seat. Four open seats. Nine candidates. Eight will make it through the primary.
- Nick participated in Citizen Action’s inaugural Movement Politics Academy last fall.
Antonio Godfrey Sr., Fond Du Lac School Board, At-Large
- At-large seat. There are 5 candidates and 4 seats need to be filled.
- Antonio previously served on the Fond du Lac School Board and was the first Black man to serve on the board. Antonio was appointed to the Board in June 2020 but lost his election in April 2021 to anti-mask, right-wing candidate.
Liv Miller, Brown County Board Dist #5
- Running for an open seat.
- Previous staff member for State Representative Jimmy Anderson.
Noah Reif, Brown County Board Dist #4
- Running in an open seat but against an incumbent who was moved to district #4 with redistricting.
- Citizen Action Northeastern WI Co-op organizer.