Gerrymandered Legislature off the rails in first week” Battleground Wisconsin Podcast
We are joined by State Senator Jeff Smith to discuss the first week of the gerrymandered State Legislature. Seeking to influence the State Supreme Court race, the session opened by Republicans placing on the Spring ballot a cynical political referendum asking voter opinion on a BadgerCare work requirement and a constitutional amendment on cash bail. The top priority of this illegitimate Legislature appears to be more tax giveaways for the ultra rich. Sen. Smith tells us why he is leading the charge to oppose the Republican attack on Wisconsin’s progressive income tax. We also talk about state budget strategy,rural broadband, and the deepening bi-partisan public concern over PFAS in our water. Eau Claire City Council member and Citizen Action Organizing Director Kate Felton joins us to discuss her effort to organize local leaders in Western Wisconsin to fight for desperately needed increases in state shared revenue to municipalities during the upcoming state budget fight.
Listen to the show!
- Republicans block Dems’ push to put abortion on the ballot and move ahead with bail measure. Here are the politics behind the moves.
- Senate advances bail constitutional amendment, welfare work requirement referendum.
- Sen. Larson: Republicans ignore the will of the people, play politics with our constitution.
- Senate Democrats call for ouster of Republican elections commissioner.
- Sen. Smith: Senate Dems call for Spindell’s dismissal from WEC.
- Editorial | Spindell has no place on the Wisconsin Elections Commission.
- Democrats call on Senate leader to remove Republican elections commissioner Spindell over comments on Milwaukee voting.