2022 Elections are on!” Battleground Wisconsin Podcast
Wisconsin hits a record number of COVID hospitalizations as Legislative Republicans push bills to undermine public health precautions and efforts to distribute free N95 masks finally pick up. Next, our panel dives into a discussion of the 2022 elections. Finally, Senator Ron Johnson announced his bid for reelection, and many are surprised when Wisconsin’s longest serving Governor, Tommy Thompson, floated another run. Will Johnson win a 3rd term in the Senate and Thompson a 5th term in the Governor mansion? President Biden makes a big public push for voting rights leading into MLK Jr. Day with a fiery speech in Georgia. Can he and the Democrats make it happen or will he again be undermined by Senators Manchin and Sinema (and their big corporate backers pulling the strings) In Wisconsin, Legislative Republicans continue their nationally coordinated effort to rewrite the 2020 election and pull apart democratic institutions, making a legislative maneuver to end secure ballot drop boxes and to allow partisan politicians to nullify elections when they don’t like the results. We ask the question, does anyone trust Speaker Robin Vos’ promise that the Legislature will not name Wisconsin electors in 2024? We close with an interview of Citizen Action Field Director Zoe Roberts on Citizen Action’s volunteer Tuesday night phone banks, which are calling critical swing voters in key legislative districts. RSVP to join us next Tuesday, January 18th at 6pm.
- More people are hospitalized with COVID-19 in Wisconsin than ever before.
- Johnson will seek third Senate term.
- A day after entering 2022 race, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson launches two ads and says he’s ready to ‘stand and fight for freedom’.
- Tommy Thompson isn’t ruling out campaign for Wisconsin governor after stint at UW.
- Milwaukee City Attorney Tearman Spencer does not submit signatures to get on ballot for mayor.
- At MLK alma mater, Biden pitches Senate rule change to safeguard voting rights
- Conservatives launch multipronged effort to block ballot drop boxes in Wisconsin.
- ‘Completely Bonkers’: Republican Wants to Let Partisan Officials Nullify Election.
- There’s ‘zero chance’ Wisconsin’s Legislature will take over awarding presidential elector votes, top GOP lawmaker says.
- Supreme Court rules Vos must be deposed about Gableman investigation records.