“Power concedes nothing” Battleground Wisconsin Podcast
We unpack the bipartisan Assembly vote to rubber stamp a $565 million giveaway to the ultra-rich owner of the Milwaukee Brewers. Given the unpopularity of the massive private subsidy, what does this say about the state of democracy in Wisconsin. A new statewide poll from Public Policy Polling shows 55% voters oppose the stadium deal. Citizen Action and other major advocacy organizations released a letter to state legislators and Governor Evers in opposition to the current stadium plan. Improvements can be made in the state senate if they hear from you (800) 362-9472.
Next we discuss the imploding impeachment of the WEC’s Meagan Wolfe by Legislative Republicans. While continuing to defame Wolfe, Republicans conceded in legal filings they lack grounds to oust her from her position. Also this week, the Senate Republican leader proposed scrapping Gov. Evers’ child care plan and replacing it with a shocking $2 billion tax cut and child care credit that mostly helps wealthier households.
Priscilla reports on her attendance at the media release of a new report from BLOC chronicling how Wisconsin’s criminal legal system, including over-policing and mass incarceration, is robbing people of their right to participate in democracy.
We close with a preview of the new BadgerCare Public Option bill set to be released in the state legislature, and circulating for co-sponsors. Priscilla tells us about volunteer phone calls to voters in support of the BadgerCare Public Option next Monday, October 23rd, 5-7pm. We need you! Sign up here! Take action and sign a petition urging your state legislators to co-sponsor the BadgerCare Public Option bill. Attend our BadgerCare Public Option media conference, Tuesday, October 31, Greater Green Bay Labor Council, at Noon (more regional events will be announced in the future). And, call your state legislators at (800) 362-9472 and ask them to co-sponsor the bill.
Listen to the show!
- Citizen Action letter to state senators and Governor in opposition to current stadium plan.
- Statewide Public Policy Polling poll shows 55% opposition to stadium deal!
- Assembly vote on stadium bill.
- State Representative Lori Palmeri (D-Oshkosh) said that it is time for the state to stand up to corporations and professional sports teams that threaten to leave the state if they aren’t given what they want.
- Despite public comments, Republicans concede in legal filing they lack grounds to oust Meagan Wolfe.
- Senate leader proposes to scrap Evers $1B child care plan, replacing it with $2B tax cut and expanded child care credit.
- How a proposed child care tax credit helps wealthier households.
- New report from BLOC: How Wisconsin’s criminal legal system robs Milwaukeeans of democracy.